Re: [Xen-users] network-route and vif-route setup help

On Oct 5, 2009, at 8:11 AM, William Wagner wrote:

On 05/10/2009 12:57, Wead, Adam G wrote:
Will,

The netmask for you guest should be 255.255.255.0

Really? The guest surely needs to be setup for point to point routing as the gateway is not within it's network? Certinaly in the previous thread
I linked to they thought that was the case.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but a netmask of 255.255.255.255 is only one machine, right. Are you wanting your guest to be isolated on its own subnet and route traffic in between?

The way I have my guests setup is attached to a bridged interface that's coming from dom0. All the traffic gets sent from the guest across dom0's bridge and out to the network.

what's your /etc/xen/xend-config file say?

I think the only relevant part is (with bridge and nat commented out):
(network-script network-route)
(vif-script     vif-route)

If you want Xen to handle the bridging, you'll need to specify:

(network-script 'network-bridge bridge=eth0')
(vif-script vif-bridge)

Then reboot. When it comes up again, you should see peth0 and xenbr0 in your ifconfig output. Edit your guest to use the xenbr0 and you should be good to go.

Please note, that this is for a bridged setup. If you're trying to do routed interfaces, I'm not sure what the setup would be there... but would be interested to find out.

hope that helps...

...adam