Re: [Xen-users] Best way to compile xen 3.4.1 on centos 5.3

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 2:41 PM, Chris <khris4@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> So let's say I want use the latest freature like scsi pass thru is it better
> to compile xen and the kernel?

Compiling both will work.
However Gitco's xen package is essentially the same Xen hypervisor and
tools you get if you compile yourself, so if you want to save time you
could use their package and compile the kernel only.

> The kernel xen download is 2.6.18 and the
> centos use is 2.6.18-127 not sure I can compile xeb with centos kernel or
> not.

RHEL/Centos kernel is 2.6.18 with lots of backported
patch/drivers/functionality. Some of them (ext4 support for example)
might not be available on xen.org's 2.6.18 kernel.

> I compile xen 3.4.1 with kernel that it download for 2.6.18 and when I
> tried to install kmod drbd I got an error invald module.

It doesn't work that way. If you compile a new kernel you need to
compile drbd modules as well. You can't just take drbd module built
for Centos kernel and use it on your self-compiled kernel.

>  Also If I use rpm
> from site given will the scsi pass thru work?

Gitco does not provide a kernel RPM. So after installing xen-related
package from that site, you can :
- use centos kernel-xen (and your existing drbd module), but
scsi-passthu (and some newer kernel features) won't work. OR
- compile xen.org's 2.6.18 kernel, but you need to compile drbd module
as well. Also you'd be missing some backported functionality present
on Centos' kernel-xen.

Other kernels are also available
(http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenDom0Kernels) but since you use
Centos you'd better stick with one of the above.

That's why I said "best" is relative. Pick what you need most, and
choose from the available alternative.

--
Fajar