RE: [Xen-users] Poor network performance on Win2k3 DomU

To: "Juan Pablo Torres" <juanpablotorres@xxxxxxxxx>, Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Poor network performance on Win2k3 DomU
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 22:57:13 +1000
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 08 Sep 2009 05:58:01 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Thanks for the reply;
> I know that PV drivers improve performance, but in this case. It is unusable
> without those drivers and barely usable with them, and that´s not normal.
> Both, packet offloading and checksumming are disabled. But the problem
> persist.
> I´ve notice that the problem is with file sharing, ´cause i can access those
> windows servers through RDP, prefectly well.
> I´ve installed a Win 2008 Server, but it does exactly the same.

If you are familiar with tcpdump and/or wireshark it would be useful to capture
some packets and see if you can notice anything out of the ordinary.

What kernel version are you using? There were some big problems (both GPLPV and
normal Linux PV) with newer Dom0 kernels in terms of network performance. I
can't remember the version or the patch flavour used though.

James