Re: [Xen-users] xen with dynamic slices

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 5:43 PM, alex<alex.faq8@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi.
> I want use xen with dynamic slices. For example, I have 20 domU based on
> FreeBSD, xen hypervisor 3.3.1, Debian Lenny dom0 system.
> All domUs have 80Gb LVM partitions, but realy they use 20 of this 80Gb and I
> want to create more domU's.
> How can I do it? I know that some virtualisation have possibility to do
> dynamic slices(4 example Virtul box)

Do you mean storage overcommit? That is, assign more storage to domU
than what you actually have?

If yes, it's not a matter of Xen vs VirtualBox. It's a matter of what
storage backend you use. If you use one of these:
- sparse raw file (with file: or tap:aio:)
- qcow
- vmdk/vdisk (I think full support is only in newer Xen or Opensolaris)
- zvol (on Opensolaris)

then you can overcommit storage. But if you use disk/partition/LVM for
domU storage, you won't be able to.

--
Fajar