[Xen-users] Newbie Question: Xen Server & Linux Xen Dom0 Differences and

To: Xen List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Newbie Question: Xen Server & Linux Xen Dom0 Differences and a usage query
From: Sanjay Arora <sanjay.k.arora@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 00:57:07 +0530
Delivery-date: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 12:27:41 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello All

I was planning to Implement Xen using Linux Xen dom0 based install
when I saw an Ad stating that Xen had made its Xen Server free of cost
(wonder if their business model is now only support?) with Tools &
Management Application. I would like to know what are the issues
involved and Pros & cons of using Linux Dom0 Server vs. Xen Server
free.

I assume domU machines will be portable among the two.

Also, I'd like to know if a non GUI Linux dom0 install or non GUI Xen
Server can provide a domU where user can get local GUI access to the
domU machine. I am using parallels on my mac. Basically what I am
asking is that can I use my high end workstation to install Xen
Server/Xen Linux dom0 and then install couple of low requirements domU
machines on it, in addition to installing my desktop machine in domU,
essentially getting my desktop machine plus a few servers on the
workstation itself, using Xen. Not using RDP or other remote protocols
to view the desktop machine, get it on the xen machine locally.

Target is to virtualize & commoditize applications, e.g. my
workstation has an instance of postgreSQL running and another of
TinyDNS and I would like to virtualize them into seperate servers, to
be commoditized for any machine that requires them.

Comments & Critique of approach wanted. Shoestring budget.

With best regards.
Sanjay.