Re: [Xen-users] Network Stops when network-bridge starts

To: James Hankins <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Network Stops when network-bridge starts
From: Matthias Reif <mattreif@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 10:51:09 +1000
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 02 Sep 2009 17:52:40 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 02/09/2009 07:37:54 PM:

> My local Dom(0) network stops working as soon as network-bridge is
> started.  I'm running centos 5.3 and installed xen from repository via
> yum.  I have a LinkSys 10/100/1000 PCI card in my machine.  Driving me
> crazy!  Any ideas?  I've stumbled upon a couple possibles regarding
> using ethtool which seems to then render my bridge unusable.  Any help
> appreciated for someone who's trying real hard to become a Xen user.  :)

I had the same problem on a couple of dom0's on CentOS 5.3. The network-bridge script didn't seem to complete properly (eth0 renamed to peth0, but xenbr0 did not exist and no IP addresses assigned to any interface), which resulted in no network connectivity at all.

To fix it, I had to create the file /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-xenbr0, which is basically an exact copy of ifcfg-eth0 except you have to modify the lines DEVICE=xenbr0 and (otherwise CentOS will try to bring up xenbr0 at boot time before xend).

The network-bridge script seems to rely on the existence of this file.

Thanks
Matthias

SOUTH PACIFIC SEEDS
PO Box 934, GRIFFITH N.S.W. 2680. AUSTRALIA
Phone:
02 6962 7333      Fax: 02 6964 1311

CAUTION: The information contained in this e-mail is privileged and confidential. If you are reading this message and you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of all or part of the contents is prohibited. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender immediately. Any opinions or views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and may not represent those of their employer.