[Xen-users] Re: AMD-V or VT

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: AMD-V or VT
From: Christian Tramnitz <chris.ace@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2009 21:55:08 +0200
Delivery-date: Fri, 07 Aug 2009 12:56:08 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dustin Henning wrote:
        If you search the archives, you will find that it is a bit
complicated.  I don't know if I'm getting the details right, but I think
basically you can pass PCI through to HVM guests without VT-D, but you need
VT-D to pass through to PV guests.  If this is accurate, it may also apply
to AMD-V without IOMMU.  I could be all out of whack, though, and it may be
that VT-D doesn't even work for PV without hacking, I don't remember the
details, and I haven't done it.
        Dustin

It's exactly the other way around, you'll need VT-d (which is a chipset feature, NOT a cpu feature) to passthrough PCI(e) device to HVM guests. For PV guests VT-d is not needed (not even VT for that matter)...

Best regards,
   Christian