[Xen-users] Network card driver missing?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Network card driver missing?
From: elli_dberg@xxxxxx
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2009 15:29:51 +0200
Delivery-date: Thu, 06 Aug 2009 06:30:33 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi all,

I want to play around with the network card and to manually send ethernet,e.g.
pause, frames. Let's say first in dom0. For this, I tried to find out which
driver is used and I couldn't find anything. In dmesg I see that e1000e and igb
are loaded when the kernel detects the ethernet cards. Then, Xen renames and
rearranges all to pethX. When I run lsmod no network driver is loaded:
$ lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
binfmt_misc            17036  1
bridge                 62384  0
ppdev                  13704  0
container               9216  0
button                 11936  0
sbs                    21184  0
i2c_ec                  9984  1 sbs
i2c_core               27136  1 i2c_ec
video                  22152  0
battery                15112  0
iptable_filter          7552  0
ip_tables              25304  1 iptable_filter
x_tables               21512  1 ip_tables
ac                     10120  0
parport_pc             32792  0
lp                     18352  0
parport                44556  3 ppdev,parport_pc,lp
tsdev                  12800  0
serio_raw              11908  0
ext3                  137744  1
jbd                    65488  1 ext3
usbhid                 53776  0
usb_storage            79776  0
ehci_hcd               36488  0
uhci_hcd               28816  0
usbcore               139432  5 usbhid,usb_storage,ehci_hcd,uhci_hcd
thermal                19984  0
processor              43820  1 thermal
fan                     9736  0
fuse                   48944  1

With $xm dmesg I couldn't find anything neither. In /proc/modules there is
nothing neither. In /sys/class/net/pethX should be a link to the used driver,
right? But there is nothing. I guess that Xen moves the networking part within
the hypervisor and thus I cannot find any information. Is that correct? How can
I find out the used drivers?
While it might not be important, I use xen bridges (not the routing approach).

Any help is appreciated,
Elli