RE: [Xen-users] Windows 2008 - slow upload

To: "Tomek" <timor@xxxxx>, <robert.zoehrer@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Windows 2008 - slow upload
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 22:56:49 +1000
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 05:58:11 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > Tomek schrieb:
> >

> > I've similar behavior with Win2003 SBS SP2 and installed GPLPV
0.10.0.86.

> > Uninstalling this GPLV version definitely "solves" the issue, but I
> > can't  say if it arrived after installing SP2 or maybe I installed
GPLPV
> > after SP2 .. didn't remember anymore.
>
> Yes it solves problem... but without GPLPV you have only 100Mbit
> interface under DomU. Because I want to use this DomU as a file server
> (for about 100 users) I need 1Gbit if.

Don't let the 'reported speed' worry you too much. GPLPV report 1Gbit
because that seemed like a reasonable thing to do. I could report 10Mbit
or 10Gbit to Windows and it wouldn't change the actual speed of the
interface. I can get well over 2gbits/second between DomU and Dom0. I
might make the reported speed configurable just in case something does
use it for performance tuning somewhere... That said, all other things
being equal the PV drivers should be heaps faster than the qemu emulated
device.

We need to work out what is different between our setups because I just
can't reproduce any of the problems you guys are reporting.

Just to get this info in one spot (sorry if I'm asking you to repeat
yourselves), please tell me the versions of:
GPLPV
Xen (hypervisor)
Dom0 Kernel
Dom0 kernel patch source if you aren't running the standard 2.6.18
kernel that ships with Xen, eg a distro kernel perhaps?
Dom0 network module (eg e1000e)
Dom0 network card (just the make and chipset should be fine)
TX speed from DomU to Dom0 as measured with 'iperf -w1m' (approx will be
fine)
TX speed from DomU to a physical machine on the other side of a 1GBit
interface from Dom0

Thanks

James