Re: [Xen-users] Backups !

To: Paras pradhan <pradhanparas@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Backups !
From: Steve Spencer <sspencer@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 07:59:12 -0500
Cc: Xen Users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 06:00:04 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Paras pradhan wrote:
> My Virtual machines resides on a GFS partition folder (e.g: /guests) .
> I can not take LVM snapshot because CLVM is not yet supported for
> snapshot. DD takes ages to create backups. What is the traditional
> method to backup virtual machines.
>
> does rdiff-backup make sense in my case?
>
> Thanks!
> Paras.

Paras,

I use rsnapshot on all of my systems, including my XEN VM's.  It is
fast, efficient, has been tested (i.e., I can restore a backup made from
rsnapshot) and frankly, provides me with a lot fewer headaches than any
other method I've tried.  Using rdiff-backup is also a good solution.
It was my solution before rsnapshot.

Thanks,
Steven G. Spencer, Network Administrator
KSC Corporate - The Kelly Supply Family of Companies
Office 308-382-8764 Ext. 231
Mobile 308-380-7957