Re: [Xen-users] Best Practices for PV Disk IO?

To: Jeff Sturm <jeff.sturm@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Best Practices for PV Disk IO?
From: Christopher Chen <muffaleta@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 20:18:04 -0700
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 20:18:50 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=sKCCQdJgi4dAwYFsTQ89pIOdsXpZoeCSJOdz4WeBvAM=; b=TGenNVYFUw8CSI5e+ojs0fTLXFUsvcA8+jEjTCy7EdE29pQPs2+nrTI7wdg+cwyE9a xPNxnvi+xkQlJn7t/geqwht7wXo3g8VjQ0TG/lxvrcStTVfuucVSm+ERJAjv6N2BeO3I ppW7ZEOdSMacS1BhWQjTJdnv9eQEBEmwRgP/Q=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 7:25 PM, Jeff Sturm<jeff.sturm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]

Jeff:

That sounds about right. Those numbers I quoted were from a iozone
latency test with 64k block sizes--80 is very close to your 71!

I found that increasing readahead (to a point) really helps get me to
80MB/sec reads, and using a low nr_requests (in linux DomU) seems to
influence the scheduler (cfq on the domU) to dispatch writes (up to
50MB/sec) faster, increasing write speed.

Of course, on the Dom0, I see 110MB/sec writes and reads on the same
block device at 64k.

But yeah, I'd love to hear what other people are doing...

Cheers!

cc

--
Chris Chen <muffaleta@xxxxxxxxx>
"The fact that yours is better than anyone else's