Re: [Xen-users] Unsigned GPLPV drivers

To: James Harper <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Unsigned GPLPV drivers
From: Oliver Hookins <oliver.hookins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 12:17:09 +1000
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 19:17:53 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed Jul 15, 2009 at 12:07:33 +1000, James Harper wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've got the need to use the GPLPV drivers on a Windows 2008 domU but
>it
>> will be better for me to use unsigned drivers rather than test
>drivers. I've
>> spent the last couple of days building the drivers using the Windows
>DDK and
>> not signing them, but they only make the domU blue screen. I'm not
>sure if
>> it is my build environment or the revision of the GPLPV code I've
>checked
>> out from the repo.
>>
>> Has anybody built "stable" drivers for x64 Win2008 which are not
>signed? Or
>> is it just the revision I have checked out? I've tried both the
>current tip
>> and revision 36fef48dbfa9, both with the same results on the machine
>> (although there are no visible errors during compile).
>>
>> Any help is appreciated.
>>

>What is the BSoD? Is it 0x7B?
>
>I don't think Win2008 x64 will ever load drivers if they are not signed,
>so that's the error I'd expect.

Yes it is 0x7B. So even if you tell 2008 to ignore signing from the boot
menu it will still blue screen like that? If so, the only alternative is to
run with your test-cert signed drivers in test mode (aside from, obviously,
purchasing the legitimate certificate and signing them properly).

This seems like a nasty situation...

--
Regards,
Oliver Hookins