Re: [Xen-users] Consistent snapshots

To: John Haxby <john.haxby@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Consistent snapshots
From: Brian Krusic <brian@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2009 22:05:45 -0700
Delivery-date: Sat, 04 Jul 2009 22:06:54 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

Sorry to chime in so late.

Agreed with this.

But I've done a dump/restore on live and paused Xen domUs from my dom0 and haven't experience and issues (yet).

I am constantly doing dev work on the dump/restored image by copying it to my isolated box.

I also do an rsync from within that domU as well.

I had a weird/bad thing happen to me a while back on a non critical domU server.

i was only doing dump/restores and i rebooted my dom0 that the domU was on (yes, I manually shut down the domU) and when my dom0 came back up, my domUs image file (img) showed as an ACB archive file. Dude, i did the command; file name.img, and thats what came back.

My history of those dump/restored img files goes back as far as two weeks and they all showed as ACB archive files so the fu@#up happened before then and I didn't notice.

My setup was Centos 5.3 dom0 and a fully virtualized Ubuntu 7 domU. I set the disk to grow as needed.

Had I done rsyncs in addition to backing up the domU image, I would be fine.

Anyways, i'm still manipulating the img file in hopes of getting data from it.

Tyler has been EXTREMELY helpful on this but it doesn't look to be a simple task.

My advise is to use 2 diff backup methods;

1 - The img backup provides a fast and easy restore if needed.
2 - The rsync provides a more time consuming but non the less, a way to mitigate a failed primary backup.

- Brian