[Xen-users] nic naming

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] nic naming
From: Goran <xen-list@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 14:51:09 +0200
Delivery-date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 05:51:56 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=simple/simple; d=arcor.de; s=mail-in; t=1246193470; bh=g4qBzkQIOQOB3pHkDJFGZqUXbbMRByt/DbR5GlJq2WI=; h=Subject:From:To:Content-Type:Date:Message-Id:Mime-Version: Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=Q315COn5WQYj/K71aNfszcVuns7ZvJ6BLrVbrnHEBdAVcoPrLQ2bB6MNBGh+cuQIa PLvNPQde8r4NTka+jVAsZuCAQTKtkVBRvM+UEqO1yQucYz+lYgTkth+8lht80DacI4 9HnIMuqtLGewchmuulxX3pI8WQU52UzlsL0sUq3Y=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi all,

I'm trying to automate my xen setup by scripts. For my xen setup I have
two prerequisites:

  1. I can't determine the sequence the domUs are started
  2. I need network reconfiguration on the fly

So, if I wanna reconfigre domU_a on the fly I have to:

  1. edit domU_a's config file and change the network stuff
     (at next reboot the network stuff is set up correctly)
  2. reconfigure some tap and/or bridge device(s)
     (to avoid a unnecessary reboot)

Ok, as I defined my prerequisites I've checked Xen's behaviour:

xm create domU_a => tap0 created in dom0
xm create domU_b => tap1 created in dom0

xm shutdown domU_a
xm shutdown domU_b

xm create domU_b => tap0 created in dom0
xm create domU_a => tap1 created in dom0

As you can see, the tap devices swapped their names. What should be done
to avoid this naming convention?

Goran