Re: [Xen-users] cluster snapshots

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] cluster snapshots
From: Javier Guerra <javier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 01:44:04 -0500
Cc: Shirley Robles <shirleyroblesmax@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Mike Lovell <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 23:44:56 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mike Lovell wrote:
> On 6/13/2009 4:43 PM, Shirley Robles wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am looking at doing LV cluster snapshots. I want to know if this is
> > possible and what is the procedure.
>
> That all being said, if you still want to try doing this, you can use a
> procedure similar to this to do it.

i think the original question is about doing a snapshot (lvcreate -s) on a
cluster shared storage (cLVM)

until recently, the general answer was that it isn't allowed.  i don't know if
it's still true, so (as always) the best advice is to test it first.  Even if
id does work, usually you won't be able to do the snapshot from one node, and
use either LV (original or snapshot) from another node.  depending of how a Xen
DomU accesses the LV, it might count as 'another node', or it might be Dom0.

and for backup, I wholeheartedly concur with Mike: it's a lot safer to do it
'from inside' the DomU.

--
Javier