[Xen-users] How do I create an initrd for a vm that is using lvm ?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] How do I create an initrd for a vm that is using lvm ?
From: JoeSC100 <jarmstrong@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 11:04:42 -0700 (PDT)
Delivery-date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 11:05:52 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi All,

I am trying to create an initrd for a VM which uses LVM as its root
partition.  I am running the mkinitrd command a dom0 that also uses LVM -
dom0's volume group is "XenHost" while the VM's volume group is "VG_VM10"
(not sure if that matters).  I issue the mkinitrd command from a chroot'd
environment so I get the right /lib/modules & /etc/fstab - the VM's / is
used as the chroot base directory and the VM's /boot is mounted there as
well).

When I boot the VM it does not seem to search for volume groups so I'm
assuming, maybe incorrectly, that the lvm module is not getting loaded by
initrd.  I see that mkinitrd has a --preload option but I am a bit of a
mkinitrd newbie and I don't know what the lvm module is called in the
kernel.  Any clues on how to do this ?

thanks.

Joe