[Xen-users] 64bit HVM guest and SMP

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] 64bit HVM guest and SMP
From: Christopher Thunes <c2thunes@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 10:44:21 -0400
Delivery-date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 07:45:10 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hey all,
I've got a number of 32bit FreeBSD (6.3 through 7.2) HVM guests running under Xen 3.2.1 (Debian Etch, 64bit dom0) and each is given 2 virtual CPUs. These 32bit guests have no problem detecting the SMP configuration and using both CPUs, but I attempted to boot a 64bit FreeBSD-6.3 (SMP enabled) guest and no matter what I seem to do I can't get it to recognize the second CPU, though it hasn't had any problems running on the one CPU. I've tried a number of other FreeBSD 64bit/SMP kernels (6.2, 6.3, 6.4, 7,.0, 7.1, 7.2) and none detect the second CPU while the 32bit versions of all of those detect it without issue.

I'm hoping that someone who has this working could offer a solution or if this isn't possible I'd like to know that too. Looking forward to a response.

Thanks,
Chris Thunes