Re: [Xen-users] Switch Hardware Virtualization On/Off

To: "Nikola K. Zahariev" <nirangor@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Switch Hardware Virtualization On/Off
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 16:38:39 +0700
Cc: Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 09 Jun 2009 02:39:19 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 4:25 PM, Nikola K. Zahariev<nirangor@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> When is actually hardware virtualization being used?

When you use HVM guest.

> If we assume the CPU supports HV, does XEN use it by default?

Xen tries to use it when you create HVM guest. If it's not available,
domU creation failed.

> Is there a possibility to switch it off, so that paravirtualization is used?

Use PV guest.

> How can I check if I am currently using HV or PV?

Check what type of domU you're using. It's easiest to see from dom0
(by looking at domU config or xenstore).
There are also files/folder specific to PV domU (for example, on linux
PV domU "cat /sys/hypervisor/type" should return "xen"). Or you could
look at this : http://lxr.xensource.com/lxr/source/tools/misc/xen-detect.c

--
Fajar