Re: [Xen-users] please help: Linux Kernel must be loaded before initrd

To: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] please help: Linux Kernel must be loaded before initrd
From: Rudi Ahlers <rudiahlers@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2009 16:27:02 +0200
Cc: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sun, 07 Jun 2009 07:27:54 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type; bh=6kUbiKrteiUCujGRlIP5ogz9PBf3RZ7E+XP0zf58nlY=; b=T0Y3sd9ALRH/T5Spe4KXf8X2c8EUNWv1FtxYK1485O/CgML3V03QWr/1YoMSlcrFuY bHfw/00A1T87lWPxGKy5YJTWH0sZ0AMSSy3l7mclDPcY6DmYcyr7iOlNV5jzaontAC2/ arvAmSzlcS+zhjCvzhmWVNqKLhD54IQrBy19k=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Sun, Jun 7, 2009 at 2:33 PM, Fajar A. Nugraha <fajar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, Jun 7, 2009 at 6:34 PM, Rudi Ahlers<rudiahlers@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> title CentOS (2.6.18-128.1.10.el5xen)
>         root (hd0,0)
>         kernel /xen.gz-2.6.18-128.1.10.el5 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01
> ide0=noprobe ide1=noprobe
>         initrd /initrd-2.6.18-128.1.10.el5.img

As Olivier pointed out, it should probably be something like this

Thanx, I'll make the changes as recommended.

title CentOS (2.6.18-128.1.10.el5xen)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /xen.gz-2.6.18-128.1.10.el5
        module /vmlinuz-2.6.18-128.1.10.el5xen ro
root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 ide0=noprobe ide1=noprobe
        module /initrd-2.6.18-128.1.10.el5xen.img

Note that vmlinuz and initrd uses "el5xen" version from kernel-xen
RPM, not the one from kernel RPM.

I'd also check the "ide0=noprobe" part. Is it really what you want?
Usually it's only necessary when some other driver should claim hda,
like in the case of HVM domU with PV kernel. Usually not necessary for
physical machine.

I use HyperVM, which has setup everything for me, but I also had some problems recently with the server, which ended up being a BIOS setting, todo with the SATA / IDE options for the hard drives. So I don't know if the IDC put those in there.

How did you setup Xen on this machine? "yum groupinstall
virtualization" should gave you a correct grub.conf stanza. Did you
perhaps only copy xen.gz and edit grub.conf manually?
HyperVM sets is up, so I think it just issues "yum install xen", or something, not sure

> The BIG problem is that the server is on another
> continent, and their support is totally useless.

That's why I insist on having remote console and power management on
my servers :)
HP's ILO can be a livesaver.

Sure, but if the IDC's support is actually what the sales reps say it is, this won't be necessary. In the 9 years that I've had servers in 5 different countries, I've never used a KVM-over-IP device. This is a new host that I'm trying out, and they're really dissapointing.

> I have actiall ordered a
> new server, from another IDC and got it last night,  but need XEN to work on
> this server in order to move the domU's across.

Why?

The current host's support is super pathetic, and not worth it for productiosn servers.

For the purpose of MOVING domU it's enough to have the physical
machine (dom0) running. Even normal (non-Xen) kernel is fine. You can
mount domU filesystem on dom0 if necessary.

Yes, but 2 of the VPS's has DB's, which I'd like to export instead of just copying across.

I've managed to get XEN working again, but this server won't be online much longer. As soon as the data is on the new server, this one goes offline.

--
Fajar

--
Kind Regards