[Xen-users] Virsh-install error

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Virsh-install error
From: "Robert Dunkley" <Robert@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 11:01:43 +0100
Delivery-date: Wed, 13 May 2009 03:03:47 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi everyone,

This is my first attempt at a PV guest install from scratch and I'm a
tad confused. Have I answered one of the questions virsh-install asks
wrongly?

Does anyone know of a general guide for installing PV guests with
virsh-install? (Most Centos docs seem to use the GUI based virt-manager
and I only have command line access).

Am I meant to make use of the files here:
http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/mirror.centos.org/5.3/os/x86_64/image
s/xen/

Thanks,

Rob

# virt-install
Would you like a fully virtualized guest (yes or no)?  This will allow
you to run unmodified operating systems. no
 What is the name of your virtual machine? mg3
 How much RAM should be allocated (in megabytes)? 2048
 What would you like to use as the disk (file path)? /dev/data2/mg3
 Would you like to enable graphics support? (yes or no) no
 What is the install location?
http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/mirror.centos.org/5.3/os/x86_64/

Starting install...
Retrieving file CentOS...                                       100 kB
00:00
Retrieving file vmlinuz.. 100% |=========================| 1.9 MB
00:01
Retrieving file initrd.im 100% |=========================| 6.3 MB
00:02
virDomainCreateLinux() failed XML description for domain is not well
formed or invalid
Domain installation may not have been
 successful.  If it was, you can restart your domain
 by running 'virsh start mg3'; otherwise, please
 restart your installation.
Wed, 13 May 2009 10:49:32 ERROR    virDomainCreateLinux() failed XML
description for domain is not well formed or invalid
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/sbin/virt-install", line 502, in ?
    main()
  File "/usr/sbin/virt-install", line 462, in main
    dom = guest.start_install(conscb,progresscb)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/virtinst/Guest.py", line 813,
in start_install
    return self._do_install(consolecb, meter)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/virtinst/Guest.py", line 834,
in _do_install
    self.domain = self.conn.createLinux(install_xml, 0)
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 573, in
createLinux
    if ret is None:raise libvirtError('virDomainCreateLinux() failed',
conn=self)
libvirtError: virDomainCreateLinux() failed XML description for domain
is not well formed or invalid

The SAQ Group

Registered Office: 18 Chapel Street, Petersfield, Hampshire GU32 3DZ
SAQ is the trading name of SEMTEC Limited. Registered in England & Wales
Company Number: 06481952

http://www.saqnet.co.uk AS29219

SAQ Group Delivers high quality, honestly priced communication and I.T.
services to UK Business.

Broadband : Domains : Email : Hosting : CoLo : Servers : Racks : Transit :
Backups : Managed Networks : Remote Support.

ISPA Member

Find us in http://www.thebestof.co.uk/petersfield