[Xen-users] Dedicated graphic card

To: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Dedicated graphic card
From: Christian Arnold <the-fr3ak@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 16:02:55 +0200
Delivery-date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 07:03:37 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi!

I want to turn my computer into a multi-OS machine. On the one hand I really want to use a desktop linux and on the other hand I am a gamer and want to play recent DirectX 10 Games. What I have read so far about Xen is, that it can provide VMs with most ressources because there is a very low overhead.

To be able to play recent games in high resolution and many effects I own a ATi 4870. Is it possible to let only the Vista or later the Win7 have access to this card and for the Xen Host and my Ubuntu guest another graphics card in another PCI-X Slot is shared?

If this is possible, am I able to share my mouse and keyboard between all of them and how do I switch visually between the guests and host? Has anyone tried this? If yes, is there some kind of tutorial or something helping me to build a machine capable of doing this?

Kind regards
Christian