[Xen-users] RE: Successful PCIe Graphics VT-d Passthrough to Win32 DomU,

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] RE: Successful PCIe Graphics VT-d Passthrough to Win32 DomU, Q35 chipset
From: "Peter J. van der Maas" <peter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 20:54:54 -0400
Delivery-date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 17:56:09 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have been receiving quite a few e-mails regarding VT-d in particular since my posting.  I have not really played with much since accomplishing a proof-of-concept.  I am waiting for engineers at Intel, Citrix (Xen), etc. to get their sh!t together before even thinking of documenting or putting into production.  One of my biggest problems was waiting for Intel to make appropriate changes to the BIOS of the board I was working with.  Anyone that has been working with VT-d in particular can see that Intel is scared of the toothpaste they let out of the tube because of lost revenue in VM’s (initially).  Do you think they want you running X number VM’s on just 1 product?  Right.  Let them figure out a way to screw you on VT and charge per VM - then the technology will (maybe) work like we want.

To the die-hard nerds like myself dedicated to getting this to work, check your BIOS version and the build of Xen (anything like 3.3.x, 3.4.x, etc. will probably FAIL…use mecurial and get something new.  Read.  Study.  You will get there. The original post included my parameters.  If you have specifics, feel free to ask, but refrain from statements such as “I bought a PC.  Now what do I do?”.

The answer is out there.

PJV-C-white-small

Peter J. van der Maas
Consultant, Business and Information Systems
+1 586 292 1055 direct
+1 866 747 7750 toll-free

peter@xxxxxxxxx

[ Disclaimer ]
This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secured or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required please request a hard-copy version