Re: [Xen-users] Cluster (VPC), Eucalyptus and preferred distribution to

To: Thomas Goirand <thomas@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Cluster (VPC), Eucalyptus and preferred distribution to it.
From: Brian Krusic <brian@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 21:23:41 -0700
Cc: Xen-user List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 21:24:39 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Here here, I agree 110%.

- Brian

On Mar 27, 2009, at 9:14 PM, Thomas Goirand wrote:

Thiago Camargo Martins Cordeiro wrote:
I do not want to start a flame war, but we need the Eucalyptus
officially supported in Debian. My Xen cluster is powered Debian 5.0.

Look well, Ubuntu is the most voted there, BUT, he does not officially
supports the Xen, only KVM, the Eucalyptus in Ubuntu will not support
Xen out of the box, I guess, since Ubuntu does not provide support for dom0.

But the Xen in Debian is very stable! So it would be great if the
Eucalyptus support Debian too!

There is no issue between Ubuntu and Debian. Any of it will be fine as
it's the same apt/dpkg system, so if one of them is supported, then
porting will be extremely easy.

By the way, I see no importance in the so-called "cloud". I know it goes on the opposite way of the current fashion, but I strongly believe that
if you need power, then a cluster of REAL servers (eg: not virtual) is
obviously the way to go. If you don't need lot's of resources, then a
small VPS or 2 are enough. The number of times you will really need
scalability are so small, and even though, scalability can be achieved
without using could.

Give me ONE real life example of something in production and I may
change my mind...

Also, doing a design decision only because of a "vote" is silly to me.
That shouldn't be the case, the decision should be made out of technical
aspects, not because people like a particular distro.

Thomas