Re: [Xen-users] nvidia

holy guacomoly!

thanks andrew!

- Brian

On Mar 12, 2009, at 12:40 PM, Andrew Lyon wrote:

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 7:17 PM, Shaffin Bhanji
<shaffin.bhanji@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I double that! I too have an IBM T61 with an NVidia card who couln not
get Xen working.

Shaffin.

On 3/12/09, Brian Krusic <brian@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all,

While I wasn't able to get NVidia drivers and the Xen kernel to play
nice about 4 months ago, I was wondering if any one has?

I've a need to run XP and Linux together on the same workstation and
really don't want to use VMware player.

- Brian

Sent from my mobile device

Hi,

I have been running nvidia binary drivers on my Xen workstation for
several months, I could not get them to work with the Xensource 2.6.18
kernel and I wanted a newer kernel for better hardware support so I
made my own 2.6.27 dom0 kernel by rebasing the opensuse Xen patches so
that they can be applied to vanilla without other opensuse patches,
then I used the IGNORE_XEN_PRESENCE=y option to install the drivers.

If you happen to be running Gentoo I have a ebuild and xen-patches
tarball you can use to install the kernel, and I can give you
instructions on how to emerge the nvidia drivers and also how to build
the kernel module.

I originally had a 256mb 9500GT but I had problems with the system
locking up, so I changed to a 512mb 8600GT which works perfectly
driving two Samsung SM2493HM 24" TFT's at 1920x1200, I've kept the
Nvidia drivers up to date and am now running 180.35.

I also had some very strange problems with the second display having
lots of horizontal lines across it, and when I moved the mouse to it
the cursor lagged terribly, setting swiotlb=255 solved that.

You can even use framebuffer console with nvidia binary drivers if you
use uvesafb, here is my full grub stanza:

kernel /xen-3.3.1.gz iommu=1 com1=115200,8n1 console=vga,com1
noirqbalance watchdog dom0_vcpus_pin

module /vmlinuz-2.6.27-xen-r5.test root=/dev/sda2 swiotlb=256
console=xvc0 console=tty1 pciback.hide=(02:01.0)(02:01.1)(02:01.2)
video=uvesafb:1920x1200-16,mtrr:3,ywrap splash=silent,theme:gentoo
quiet

module /fbsplash-initrd

I am not using Xinerama, the two displays are separate x screens, so I
cannot move windows between them, thats not a problem for me but be
aware I've not tested Xinerama.

Andy