[Xen-users] xen: Buffer I/O error on device xvda1

To: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] xen: Buffer I/O error on device xvda1
From: Steve Spencer <sspencer@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 12:59:38 -0500
Delivery-date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 11:00:06 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
All,

I'm sure this is not a new issue, as I've done some searching first and
found several cases where this exists on other CentOS5.x boxes. (no
solution listed)  My question is simply, is there some sort of a work
around to fix this or is the best bet to build the Xen 3.3 from source
and go that route.

The issue is this:  We have a Xen server running 3 DomU's that started
throwing the error "Buffer I/O error on device xvda1" for several blocks
and actually took the file system to RO after a time.  The odd thing is
that the DomU in question was idling at the time.  In other words,
little to no activity as it had not been taken live yet.  Thinking this
was a harbinger for a bad disk drive, I started building an new Xen
server CentOS5.2, with the Xen RPM sources for the 3.2 kernel.  (this is
the same process we have used for all of our currently running Xen
servers-the rest of which are working fine.) Everything has gone fine
until we started building the third DomU and as we are installing
packages we get the above error again.

We don't use an LVM setup, but a strict ext3 setup routine with manual
partitioning.  I've toyed with taking the in-process server and
re-installing the default CentOS5.2 RPM's for Xen, but frankly would
prefer to know if this is going to work prior to rolling with it.  I
should also add that the DomU's ARE using the standard CentOS5.2 xen
kernels that install with the virt-install process.

Any help or guidance on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
--
Steven G. Spencer, Network Administrator
KSC Corporate - The Kelly Supply Family of Companies