Re: [Xen-users] VirtualBox on XEN DomU

To: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] VirtualBox on XEN DomU
From: Espák Miklós <espakm@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 10:56:10 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 01:56:50 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=VF6d02ukUvDSAksUtOYW3/bpx9acBsKAUkbsnfbSd7Q=; b=wljWzCOZeXq3sIOwi9FPz7Rev3TRCDNYnhDt30hl3TGUzes1ZIcKyt9wHuCR3Dkedh Ao6Yl1XcY4Sq5n9Z9PEB5dS2GQbZ8O1wj50D2uyGuzowOGyKWN3/kvtCXuVQMVFQ/ySE uMSH0iGE/ZdlpOM+3i/1xGopM+OuDgElk4tf4=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> The dom0 is a Debian Etch and there is a domU with Oracle Enterprise
>> Linux. Maybe I should replace XEN to another solution, which supports
>> both Windows and Linux without HVM, and can boot them from LVM.
>> VirtualBox can only use image files.
>>
>> Is there such a VM?
>
> Hrmmm.  You won't be able to run any fast-performing virtualiser *within* Xen
> on that system, so if you need to run Windows on this box you'll *either* have
> to use Qemu in a domU and take a big performance hit or switch from Xen to
> another solution.  Assuming you *do* decide to remove Xen, you could try:
>
> * VirtualBox News here: http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/News
> lists for Jun 5, 2007, ""raw disk support", which should be what you want.
> Are you sure it won't work?  Or do you have an older version of VirtualBox
> installed?  (in which case, maybe you could just upgrade that?).  You should
> just be able to pass partitions, LVM volumes, etc to it as raw disks, I'd
> expect.

I looked for raw disk support using the GUI frontend. You are right,
direct disk access is supported in command line, although it is said
to be experimental.

It seems that the final solution will be to virtualize one of our
small servers on the Sun Fire with Xen (converting it to be another
domU), and put the win2k3 on that hardware. Xen works great now, so it
does not need to be replaced in this way.

Thanks!

Miklós