[Xen-users] partitions + iscsi = mass confusion

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] partitions + iscsi = mass confusion
From: "Gary W. Smith" <gary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 08:55:53 -0800
Delivery-date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 08:56:34 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Given that I use tap:aio for several servers, I usually create sda1 as base disk, sda2 as swap, and sdb1 as additional filesystem.  I setup an iSCSI server this week as I need a high volume storage for one of my VM's (about 800gb).

When I setup the iSCSI initiator to point to the iSCSI drive its detected just fine giving.  The problem is that it tries to setup the disk as sda since I don't have a physical sda (as the VM's are already mounted with the direct paritions that I want.

I'm not sure if this is a xen problem or an iSCSI problem. I suspect that it's probably more of an iSCSI problem but someone must have run into this before.

major minor  #blocks  name
   8     1    8388608 sda1
   8     2     524288 sda2
   8    17   33554432 sdb1
   8     0  134217728 sda   <-- iSCSI Test mount
   8     1  134215011 sda1  <-- partition created on that mount from another machine
Any ideas?