Re: [Xen-users] Compiling lInux2.6.28.5 for hosting VM

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Compiling lInux2.6.28.5 for hosting VM
From: Maximilian Wilhelm <max@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 03:17:51 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 18:18:35 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Anno domini 2009 KARTHIK BALAJI G scripsit:

Hi!

> I am running xen-3.3.1. I am trying to compile linux kernel 2.6.28.5 such
> that I can boot it as DomU kernel. I enabled all the config options related
> to xen in that kernel. After compiling the kernel and creating the initrd
> image I created my xen conf file that looks like,

> kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28.5"
> ramdisk = "/boot/initrd.img-2.6.28.5"
> builder='linux'
> memory = 256
> name = "guest1"
> vcpus = 2
> vif = [ 'mac=00:16:3e:ef:fe:11, ip="<my-ip>"' ]
> disk = [ 'file:/mnt/domains/vm1/disk.img,sda1,w' ,
> 'file:/mnt/domains/vm1/swap,sda2,w' ]
> root = "/dev/sda1 ro"
              ~~~

> on_poweroff = 'destroy'
> on_reboot   = 'restart'
> on_crash    = 'restart'

> When I boot into it hangs at,

> >Done.
> >Begin: Waiting for root file system... ...

> So eventually it could not find the root file system and falls to busybox. I
> did cat /proc/partitions - It listed xvda1 and xvda2 as partitions. I don't
                                      ~~~~~      ~~~~~
> understand which driver is missing in kernel 2.6.28.5 to load xvda1. I did
> some googling and saw that I need to compile unmodified_drivers (present in
> xen-3.3.1 directory) for this linux kernel. So did,
[...]

When using a vanilla kernel all XenVirtualBlock devices will be named
  xvd<letter>
so the declaration of 'sda1' and 'sda2' will be silently ignored.
For convenience you should changed the disk line to

  disk = [ 'file:/mnt/domains/vm1/disk.img,xvda1,w' ,
  'file:/mnt/domains/vm1/swap,xvda2,w' ]

and you have to change the root line to

root = "/dev/xvda1 ro"

HTH