Re: [Xen-users] storage question

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 12:19 PM, Gary W. Smith <gary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have some contract work with a client that is running Ubuntu under
> CentOS under VMWare.  This is all on a local box.  Why no xen, well, I
> don't have an answer for that.  For some reason the client would like us
> to move their disk based VM instances to a NetGear 1000 NFS server.

Maybe they read this
http://storagefoo.blogspot.com/2007/09/vmware-over-nfs.html
http://viroptics.pancamo.com/2007/11/why-vmware-over-netapp-nfs.html

> Okay, when you are done laughing, does anyone have a consolidated list
> of why this is bad.  I would like to give them more reasons that I
> already have on why this is bad.

I can only think of two :
- performance. Local disk i/o thorughput should be higher than NFS
provided the same disk and VM load.
- nfs can provide simplicity when you have many host servers. From
what you describe, I get the idea that it's only one.

Regards,

Fajar