Re: [Xen-users] resize file disk iommu xp won't boot

Il venerdì 23 gennaio 2009 14:13:38 hai scritto:
> So you haven't gone through resizing the ntfs and partition yet, but
> Windows simply refuses to boot, right?

yes.

> Weird huh?
> Upon investigating, I found that LVM-backed disk show these geometries
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 1305 cylinders
>
> while the iscsi-imported zfs-volume had these
> 64 heads, 32 sectors/track, 10240 cylinders

but you have had a change in heads and sectors per track... i did not.

> I suggest you try these :
> - create a new 8GB image (copy the backup image then extend it with dd
> or whatever)
> - use fdisk to change disk geometry to 255 heads, 63 sectors/track,
> 1019 cylinder

why 1019?

> - delete the old partition 1
> - create a new partition 1, have it occupy cylinder 1-1018. Don't
> forget to set active flag and type correctly
> - try booting windows

i did it, anyway no luck.

BUT!
you gave me some useful information, and i started a new search on google.

http://www.linux-ntfs.org/doku.php?id=ntfsclone
what the program do is described and linked in that page, for who want to go
deep.

this tool is included also in systemrescuecd http://www.sysresccd.org/ from
1.1.1betasomething, but the name of the file to exec is ntfsreloc not
relocntfs.

i have burned the cd (maybe fastest, otherwise i have to double losetup: the
first  to see the partition table, se second to see the partition) and
runned:
ntfsreloc -w /dev/sda1

started windows, all ok.
whithin windows i do not know how to resize the partition, i didn't found
anything on disk gestures...

so, to resize the partitions i have restarted system rescue cd, and runned
gparted (i am REALLY lazy today...) with mouse and all... resized the
partitions, restarted and voilà!

8GB C: xp.

thanks you,
and my 2 cents