[Xen-users] Network Storage

To: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Network Storage
From: "lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 10:53:19 -0600
Delivery-date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 08:53:59 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Another area of problems is that of using network storage.

In my case, I'm using legacy 1GB and 2GB fibre channel storage units connected
into fc filers that hand off NFS/CIFS. It's a nice, simple setup but in trying
various combinations, things are still very slow and sluggish.

I've tried various things such as having an NFS or direct FC share onto each VM
server, then installing the guest onto the network storage. Works fine but when
you start adding servers, things get a bit difficult.
The servers run just fine, nice and fast but, the gotcha so far, seems to be
when copying files across that storage for any of the servers. So for example,
when copying say large backup files, GB sized, that slows down everything way
too much.

So I'm wondering how others deal with network based storage when it comes to
virtualization of this type.

Mike