Re: [Xen-users] Xen Guests and DomU running on NFS v3

To: Matthew Sacks <ntwrkd@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen Guests and DomU running on NFS v3
From: Brian Krusic <brian@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 14:18:56 -0800
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 14:20:10 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Matthew,

Well, my experience with NFS in general that NFS is not NFS any where and every where you go.

When asked to do analysis of this kind of thing, I pull out tools like Iozone together with nfsstat and iptraf to see what's up so this is what I suggest.

My favorite NFS server is the BlueArc but if you have a NetApp, that is a not so close 2nd.

If you have a standard issue nix box running as an NFS server, I would take care to trim it down services wise and if you can afford it, implement a Raid 0+1 with lots of RAM.

Don't jump to bonding because usually, the bottle neck is in the 5th layer and up and would only attack the 4th layer towards the end.

If you can fill up your nic, then you are ding a great job.

- Brian