RE: [Xen-users] Re: GPLPV drivers problem

> I run iperf as a client on the domu and as a server on the dom0.
>
> i also tried an ftp transfer ( ftp server on the dom0) ( lvm lv as
volumes
> to get better disk performances )
>
> the transfer rate was 140Mb/s max ( second run ) but the cpu was 100%
> loaded (60% for ftp.exe and 30 % system )
>
> it seems that the high cpu load during network utilization is the main
> limiting factor.
>
> i disabled ms/qos with no luck

I have been tinkering with patching the windows kernel to remove a
particularly inefficient instruction, based on Travis Betak's amdvopt
driver (on sourceforge).

That driver by itself should make XP fly on AMD processors. I am working
on putting it into the xenpci driver, which I've done, and then making a
similar optimization for Intel processors.

A test I just did got the XP throughput going from 35 MBits/second to
350 MBits/second. Once I have sorted out a licensing issue with Travis
and done some port testing I'll release the updated GPLPV drivers.

Windows 2003 sp2 included a similar fix built into the kernel, so you
won't see any performance increase there. Windows 2008 and Vista have
the same thing already too.

James