Re: [Xen-users] How much room needed for MacOSX on Xen?

At 02:15 +0100 11/12/08, Stefan de Konink wrote:
Thorolf Godawa wrote:
at least in Germany that is not correct!

I can go in a store and buy the retail-version of MacOS X.

After I bought it, I can install it where ever I want, if there are any
EULAs that prohibit it they are just not valid, because you must see and
accept them BEFORE you buy the product!

Extend this to the complete European Union. Tying is prohibited.

Tying might be, but this isn't a case of tying. It has been found several times in court that a shrink-wrap licence (ie the EULA you have to accept) IS acceptable provided you are given the opportunity for a FULL refund if you decline to accept it. Remember, you are not buying the software, you are buying a licence to run it - and failure to abide by the licence would be a civil matter between the software vendor (in this case Apple) and you. Also, because it is a licence to use the software, and not purchase of goods, then it sidesteps a LOT of protections - for example, with physical goods there is a principal that once you sell something then you cannot control it's future use or resale, but with a software licence you can.

That is the situation in the UK, and I believe in the whole (or at least most of) of Europe.

But don't get too excited by the possibility of getting a court to agree with you, because ...

In the US it is a criminal offence (something you can be locked up for) to defeat protection mechanisms (under their Digital Millenium Copyright Act). The same act makes it a criminal offence to watch a DVD on Linux as that involves bypassing the copy protection. Since OS X does have a protection measure to make it run only on Apple hardware, it is a criminal offence to fake a TPM to make it run. - and Apple have invoked this against some outfit flogging Mac clones.

The same law is coming here, sooner or later. It's been talked about, and there are powerful commercial lobbying groups (ie the music, film, and software big names) that want this. What better to shift copyright abuse from a civil matter (where the copyright owner foots the bill for investigation and process) to a criminal matter where public authorities (eg police etc) do it AND the person just trying to watch their DVD at home can be sent to prison (heck of a "chilling effect" that).

And the same law also covers making or supplying tools to defeat protection mechanisms - that's why there are a number of software authors who cannot safely visit the US as they would be liable for arrest as soon as they touched US soil.

Only slightly related, I've been trying to get our Office of Fair Trading to look into Apple's (illegal in my opinion) control of the secondary market in spare parts. Ie Apple (along with other computer manufacturers) are currently allowed an exemption that allows them to control who can sell their spare parts, and they can make it a condition of having a contract to be an authorised service provider that you will not sell parts on. Not surprisingly, this means that getting an Apple product repaired costs a lot more than it should AND it means I can't buy parts and do it myself. I got as far as persuading them that (in their language) "my argument has merit" but they had bigger fish to fry and wouldn't do anything.

Anyway, enough of the politics !

--
Simon Hobson