Re: [Xen-users] does anyone have experience with clusters?

To: "Waldirio Manhães Pinheiro" <waldirio@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] does anyone have experience with clusters?
From: "Rudi Ahlers" <rudiahlers@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 12:46:25 +0200
Cc: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 03 Dec 2008 02:47:03 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to :subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type :content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=RFeowhkRKPZf4bt0CHXLn0ahqoAjqUV57gvG0nPlrWo=; b=sz9ArlPC9r6mwORgRCfzzR/OvTaOToVvgzhzvb4C7xD53FcWElql94UyzVmEFJjJe+ AfMyn3kGOtAXmBmIuE2sbkMGw+xk/0Uka0WeA/bSbqgHBLGsL/XsN3H3hepaB3qfQaQY tgWwU/UNQxB3AdxMA9C25+lL0ZQrCMUs3BdtA=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 12:16 PM, Waldirio Manhães Pinheiro
<waldirio@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>   Good Morning Rudi
>
>  Check here to start your cluster environment and configuration -
> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-AS-2.1-Manual/cluster-manager/
>
> Good Luck
> Waldirio
>
> On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 7:08 AM, Rudi Ahlers <rudiahlers@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I want to start experimenting with clusters, and I would like to use
>> normal desktop grade hardware for this. I have some extra PC
>> components lying around, enough to build 3 - 4 moderate desktops with
>> a PIV / C2D CPU & 512MB - 1GB RAM each. All the machines should have
>> at least a 100MB NIC, but I can add a gigabit NIC to the machines that
>> doesn't have it if need be.
>>
>> I have used Linux Heartbeat to failover a MySQL cluster before, and
>> it's actually been running very well for about 3 years now. But, I
>> want to start looking @ total clustering, with DRBD - where everything
>> (not just MySQL) is being replicated across the 4 machines. I'm also
>> intereated in load balancing.
>>
>> Has anyone done anything like this?
>>
>> The cluster will be running / hosting a few XEN Virtual Machines, and
>> idealy if one PC / server dies (hardware failure / power failure /
>> etc), then on of the other machines should still be running the
>> virtual machines, i.e. no downtime. Is this possible? Can somone steer
>> me into a direction where I can get more info on this?
>>
>> My aim: to use common, cheap PC equipment & CentOS for the project, I
>> don't want to spend any more money, and want to use what I have.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Kind Regards
>> Rudi Ahlers

> --
> ______________
> Atenciosamente
> Waldirio
> msn: waldirio@xxxxxxxxx
> Site: www.waldirio.com.br
> Blog: blog.waldirio.com.br
> PGP: www.waldirio.com.br/public.html

Hi Waldirio,

I have gone through that document already, but I don't see how it
handles load balancing, i.e. sharing resources across servers.
--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers