Re: [Xen-users] Re: bonding ethernet and xen 3.2.1 or later.

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Re: bonding ethernet and xen 3.2.1 or later.
From: Massimiliano De Ruosi <max.deruosi@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 18:45:47 +0100
Delivery-date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 09:46:27 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Solved! (thank you very much).

My setup is much simpler: at this point I'm not using vlans (I'd like to, but I have to hunt for a network admin before: they run away so quickly... ;-))

I tried to simply cut off vlan interfaces in /etc/network/interfaces, substituting bond0 to vlanX in bridge definition, but it didn't work: dom0 could not ping the gateway. I suppose a route issue (any idea?).

The solution for me was to set static ip on the bridge. I post my working setup: maybe it could help someone.

----------8<----------
# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto bond0
iface bond0 inet manual
        slaves                 eth0 eth1
        bond_mode              active-backup
        bond_miimon            100
        bond_updelay           4000
        bond_primary           eth0

auto br0
iface br0 inet static
        address                192.168.1.106
        netmask                255.255.255.0
        gateway                192.168.1.1
        bridge_ports  bond0
        bridge_stp off
        bridge_fd 0

----------8<----------
This setup is still suboptimal for me: using bond_miimon is ok to detect a nic or a cable failure, but it cannot detect the fail of active path if the link doesn't go down. Using bond_arp_ip_target (and bond_arp_interval) should be the solution, but it doesn't work in this configuration. I Keep work on it.

As you suggested, xend-config.sxp contains:
(network-script network-dummy)
(vif-script vif-bridge)

I use only one bridge, and one vif for my domU, so the domU config files contains:

vif = [ 'mac=00:16:3e:01:f0:73, bridge=br0' ]

Thank you again,
Max.

Quoting Ferenc Wagner <wferi@xxxxxxx>:

Massimiliano De Ruosi <max.deruosi@xxxxxxxx> writes:

Massimiliano De Ruosi <max.deruosi@xxxxxxxx> writes:

I've just set up xen (3.2.1 on Debian Lenny), enabled network-bridge
in xend-config.sxp and all seems to work properly. Then I've tried a
different setup: first I've created a bond device with two phisical
nics, but then, installing xen, network stops working!

I've tried then to change the xend-config.sxp with: (network-script
'network-bridge netdev=bond0') ...nope

Is there anyone able to get xen (>3.2.1) working with bonding? If so,
can you point me to the correct way?

Yes.  I use the network-dummy script and do all the bond/bridge setup
in /etc/network/interfaces.  Works wonderfully.

Will you post me (or to the list) your setup? An anonymized extract of
your /etc/network/interfaces would be great!

Why not.  This is bog-standard, has nothing to do with Xen at all:

----------8<----------

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
auto bond0
iface bond0 inet static
        address         10.253.2.7
        netmask         255.255.255.0
        gateway         10.253.2.254
        slaves          eth-gb1 eth-gb2
        bond_mode       active-backup
        bond_miimon     100
        bond_updelay    4000
        bond_primary    eth-gb1

auto vlan891
iface vlan891 inet manual
        vlan_raw_device bond0

auto br891
iface br891 inet manual
        bridge_ports vlan891
        bridge_stp off
        bridge_fd 0

auto vlan894
iface vlan894 inet manual
        vlan_raw_device bond0

auto br894
iface br894 inet manual
        bridge_ports vlan894
        bridge_stp off
        bridge_fd 0

auto vlan897
iface vlan897 inet manual
        vlan_raw_device bond0

auto br897
iface br897 inet manual
        bridge_ports vlan897
        bridge_stp off
        bridge_fd 0
----------8<----------

My two physical interfaces are eth-gb1 and eth-gb2; these names are
prescribed by editing /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules to
match the interface names printed on the case.

xend-config.sxp contains:
(network-script network-dummy)
(vif-script vif-bridge)

and the domU config files contain lines like:

vif = [ 'mac=00:16:3e:01:f0:73, bridge=br894',
        'mac=00:16:3e:01:f0:75, bridge=br897' ]
--
Good luck,
Feri.