RE: [Xen-users] how to debug hardware lockups?

To: "Rudi Ahlers" <rudiahlers@xxxxxxxxx>, "xen-users" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] how to debug hardware lockups?
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 20:48:52 +1100
Delivery-date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 01:49:36 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Hi,
>
> We have a server which locks up about once a week (for the past 3
> weeks now), without any warning, and the only way to recover it, is to
> reset the server. This causes unwanted downtime, and often software
> loss as well.
>
> How do I debug the server, which runs CentOS 5.2 to see why it locks
> up? The CPU is an Intel Q9300 Core 2 Quad, with 8 GB RAM, on an Intel
> Motherboard

Those last few lines before the server froze are going to be the last
write it managed to commit to disk, which may not relate to the crash.

If there is nothing useful on the screen, try setting up serial
consoles... maybe one for xen and one for the linux kernel. That should
capture the servers dying words, assuming there are any.

James