Re: [Xen-users] PCI Passthrough for Windows error

To: deshantm@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] PCI Passthrough for Windows error
From: "billy lau" <billylau@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 14:47:53 -0500
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 11:48:42 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:sender :to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references :x-google-sender-auth; bh=hsQB7Rha3zL96cwHOrlAOY26AlvbdK0exQIrnI5/1QA=; b=kiv5uZYobi3B3dw8vTiTn5aSP94YFiSBNhf7kbNYDIFQr8huG2m0L64qMs92Q8srLj vpjJ1qI7YR+ywRjVwOG2911Erw6INyyO8mXX4DA3OQRGPvFQEHxUs3qTAAUDm1g2Gcn7 N8qxrrGmK4vDCuxZKPdEN8cxngSUCzaCnGc1g=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi, sorry, it took me quite a while, because I was trying other ways to get around htis prblem, but it seems like I cannot get pass this.

Attached is the output from
lspci -tv
lspci -xxx -vvv
xm pci-list-assignable-devices returns nothing
ls /sys/bus/pci/drivers/pciback*
grep hide /boot/grub/menu.lst

The Linux guest taht worked before was PV.

xm dmesg shows
(XEN) HVM: VMX enabled
and
(XEN) I/O virtualisation disabled
(XEN) Xen trace buffers: disabled

I'm not sure if this means iommu is disabled. If it is, what should I do to enable it? Thanks,
- billy

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 7:27 PM, Todd Deshane <deshantm@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 2:39 PM, billy lau <billylau@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dear Xen Users,
>
> I was attempting to boot windows using hvmloader on a debian, with Vt-d
> enabled. However, as I try to create my windows domain, the error below
> occured, and I could not understand why:
>
> Error: failed to assign device: maybe the platform doesn't support VT-d, or
> VT-d isn't enabled properly?
>
> The problem is that I have enabled VT-d, and I did a pciback.hide=(XX:XX.X)
> in grub's menu.lst. Well, The passthrough seems to be working when I load a
> linux domU, as i managed to see the pci device in lspci in linux domU, but
> for windows, only this error message appeared. Can anyone help?

Can you attach the output of:

lspci -tv
lspci -xxx -vvv
xm pci-list-assignable-devices
ls /sys/bus/pci/drivers/pciback*
grep hide /boot/grub/menu.lst
Your xen command line

Is the Linux guest that work PV or HVM?

Are you sure that iommu support is enabled?
One way to check is in the output of xm dmesg
It should say enable or disabled for iommu.
(Just want to double check that case)

check the patch on this message:
http://xen.markmail.org/search/?q=disable%20flr#query:disable%20flr+page:1+mid:7dbm675e4x4dawec+state:results

It might be applicable, hard to say without more info.

Hope that helps and/or sheds some light on possible problems.

Cheers,
Todd

--
Todd Deshane