RE: [Xen-users] Another GPLPV pre-release 0.9.11-pre20

Before you get to any of the stuff I wrote below, can you please check
every logfile you can in Solaris for any useful messages?

I've just had a (very brief) look through the OpenSolaris sources and it
does appear to log a bit of stuff, so you might get something helpful in
a logfile somewhere...

Thanks

James

> > Hi James,
> >
> > > Did you get a crash dump out of it?
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> > >If so, please try again after starting DebugView from
sysinternals.com
> > >Send me the
> > >DbgView.log file (assuming there is something in it).
> >
> > It's a little complicated.
> > Driver installation installs xenblk succesfully, but when it
installs
> > xennet it BSOD, writes a crash dump. Rstart the server, now it BSOD
with
> > 0x7E. I assume xenblk did that, which is weird because I'm booting
> > WITHOUT /gplpv.
> >
> > So I restart again, press F8, select Last known good configuration,
run
> > debugview again. Dbgview.log attached (gz-compressed).
> >

> Thanks for that. There are two problems I can see. The first is that
gplpv
> fails to connect the backend for each device. The second is that in
> xennet,
> I don't check the return code so when it fails you get a crash.
>
> Without /GPLPV in the boot.ini, xennet still runs but tells windows
that
> the
> cable is disconnected, so that the network adapter can still be set up
> before booting with /GPLPV. That is why you still got the crash.
>
> I have just uploaded a file called xennet.sys.solaristest to
> http://www.meadowcourt.org/downloads. What I think you will need to do
is
> run the 0.9.11 installer, but untick 'install drivers'. Once that is
> complete, copy the updated xennet.sys to C:\Program Files\Xen PV
> Drivers\drivers\i386 (or amd64, I don't know if you told me what arch
you
> are using). Then you will need to manually install the drivers from
> C:\Program Files\Xen PV Drivers\drivers, one at a time, starting with
the
> PCI device. If you can't make that work then let me know and I'll
build
> another release.
>
> Once you have done that, the drivers still won't work, so don't bother
> with
> /GPLPV in your boot menu, but we can start looking further.
>
> When you do the install, with debugview running, you will see a
message
> like
> 'XenPCI     Still waiting for 4 (currently 2)...' repeat once a second
for
> about 20 seconds. As soon as that starts, please do a 'xenstore-ls
> /local/domain' in your Dom0 and send me the results. You will need to
have
> Linux (or other) PV domain running for this to be useful. Let me know
the
> ID
> of both the Windows DomU you are testing, and the existing Linux PV
DomU.