[Xen-users] HVM, USB devices and qemu monitor

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] HVM, USB devices and qemu monitor
From: Marianne Spiller <devnull@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 17:51:20 +0200
Delivery-date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 08:49:40 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi there,

I have a clean system with the following configuration:

Dell PowerEdge 2970, 2x Quad-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 2352
Debian-4.0 (stable) amd_64
Xen-3.3.0 (compiled from source, gcc-4.1.2)

System is up and running, and I have three guest domains (HVM); everything works fine.

Now we have to USB harddisks for backup purposes; one is connected, the other outside company, so we have to replace the USB device every week. Of course, we can't reboot this backup VM every week ;) So I try to connect this USB device to my domU.

Working with 'xm block-attach' does not seem to have any effort - I can export my device on dom0, but can't mount it on domU, domU doesn't even seem to 'see' it. So I tried another way described here [1], disabled VNC, enabled SDL and monitor=1.

Domain still boots, but in case of 'export DISPLAY="..."' extremly slow; then I had a keymap problem ('enter' was 'J' in this case, but this was a MacOS X X11.app issue and enabling 'Follow system keyboard layout' solved it), now I can login via SDL window.

But Ctrl+Alt+2 does not have any effect; I tried several things, but no success. Process is running with 'monitor' enabled [2] it seems, but how to get into? When I press Ctrl+Alt+2 keystroke, I get

Warning: no scancode found for keysym 310
Warning: no scancode found for keysym 310

in my qemu-dm-galaxy.log. I tried to modify via xmodmap, but no success. I was looking for a possibility to define an alternative keystroke, but no success. Can anyone please give me a hint? Or is there any other way to make my USB harddisks accessible from within my backup domU?

Many thanks in advance,
--ms

[1] http://www.virtuatopia.com/index.php/Adding_USB_Devices_to_a_Xen_HVM_domainU_Guest

[2] /usr/lib/xen/bin/qemu-dm -d 13 -domain-name galaxy -k en-us -monitor vc -vcpus 2 -append ip=:127.0.255.255::::eth0:dhcp -boot c -acpi -net nic,vlan=1,macaddr=00:02:02:c0:ff:ee,model=rtl8139 -net tap,vlan=1,ifname=tap13.0,bridge=xenbr0 -M xenfv