Re: [Xen-users] DmU performances in HVM mode

To: Poulpatine <poulpatine@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] DmU performances in HVM mode
From: Luke S Crawford <lsc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 14 Oct 2008 18:25:27 -0400
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 15:25:56 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Is there a way to configure my domain in order to permit him to be
> more performant ?

HVM has slow I/O.  if you install the paravirtualized drivers for the guest OS
that should help a whole lot.

The thing is, without paravirtualized drivers, you are essentially using qemu
to emulate a scsi or ide card for all your I/O, which is not particularly
quick.

you can play about with James Harper's (beta, I think) gplpv paravirt
drivers for windows:

http://www.meadowcourt.org/downloads

those are the only paravirt windows drivers that I know of that are free.
You can pay money to citrix or suse and get paravirt windows drivers.

without paravirt drivers in the DomU, you are unlikely to achieve anything like
good I/O performance in HVM mode.