[Xen-users] Xen, LVM and snapshots

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Xen, LVM and snapshots
From: "Morten W. Petersen" <morten@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 19:14:31 +0200
Delivery-date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 10:15:19 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi :)

We're considering using snapshots of LVM logical volumes as a backup
feature, that is, having domU instances running on each of their own
logical volume, and then in the dom0, create snapshots and take backups.

Has anyone else tried this?  Is it safe?

I saw an old message from 2006 on this list, where it is said that
"Common understanding is that LVM2 snapshots are unstable".

Is that still the case?

Thanks,

Morten