Re: [Xen-users] Xen 3.3 hypervisor with stock dom0 kernel from Debian Et

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen 3.3 hypervisor with stock dom0 kernel from Debian Etch?
From: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 08:46:09 +0200
Delivery-date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 23:46:49 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 25 Sep 2008 11:44:39 +1200, Anton wrote:
The Debian xen kernel (amd64) works fine for me as both dom0 and domU with 3.3.

The Debian kernels support my hardware a lot better though that the
standard config of the xensource kernels (more modules enabled etc).

Thanks a lot, this is great news.

b) If a), is it advisable at all?

Advisable? I dunno, but I haven't had much luck getting the xensource
kernels working well at all well on Debian Etch (see other recent
thread). The combined dom0/domU xensource kernel works OKish as a dom0
but not as a PV domU, and I can't get the separate dom0 and domU
kernels working at all. I'm still trying (not very successfully) to
get them working though, but my kernel building / initrd
troubleshooting skills are only average at best.

Just out of curiosity: Are there any reasons why you want the xensource kernel when the debian kernel works OK?

c) If b), is this difficult to achieve or can I just to compile the
hypervisor from source?

You can compile the 3.3 hypervisor and all the tools from source (it
worked for me), and still use the standard Debian kernel for
dom0/domU.

Super! How about using the debian lenny 2.6.26 domU kernel [1] on top of the debian etch 2.6.18 dom0 kernel [2] (with Xen 3.3)? I guess that would work?

And my last silly question: Are there any real benefits on using a 64 bit dom0 [3] when I am only serving 32 bit debian domU's?

(I'm sorry for my detailed questions -- I am setting up a xen server tomorrow and merging a stand-alone server to it, and my setup time is severely limited.)

Best regards,
Henrik

[1] http://packages.debian.org/lenny/linux-image-2.6.26-1-xen-686
[2] http://packages.debian.org/etch/linux-image-2.6.18-6-xen-686