Re: [Xen-users] performance of pv drivers for windows

To: Sebastian Reitenbach <sebastia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] performance of pv drivers for windows
From: Alexander Piavlo <piavka@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 10:53:53 +0300
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 00:54:56 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sebastian Reitenbach wrote:
 1.5MB/s for random write access is not lousy , if you perform random
write test in dom0 or on native non xen kernel
you'll also get  1.5MB/s
Hm, ok, but without any PV drivers, I got about 7MB/sec. at least for writing to the disk.
This does not look realistic, especially since with random read you got only 1.6MB/sec. Maybe this is some QEMU caching issue. Also the graph shows 2 strange large time slots with zero write activity.

Would you mind running tiobench benchmark http://tiobench.sourceforge.net/ inside dom0 with:
         tiotest -t 4 -f 1024 -r 5000 -b 4096 -d /test
where /test is a mountpoint of a newly created ext3 filesystem large enough to hold 1024*4 MB
or better yet:
        tiotest -t THREADS -f SIZE -r 5000 -b 4096 -d /test
where THREADS*SIZE > 2*(Available RAM)

Thanks
Alex

Therefore I was wondering.