[Xen-users] Setup advice needed

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Setup advice needed
From: "Joe Rose" <jrose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 20:22:48 -0400
Delivery-date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 17:23:07 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello all,

I have 8 dual quad servers with 4-16 gigs of ram I want to set up a virtual environment with.  Each server has between 750gb and 800gb of local storage available.

I have 5 types of servers I need to run (app, file, db, php, phpdb) and would like to have two virtual instances of each.

I have a fiber SAN available, but it can only connect to two servers (only have two ports on it, and no fiber switch).

My budget for this project is $0.

I am considering having two servers connected to the SAN and act as NAS gateways (NFS) and as Xen hosts.  The DBs would live on these two servers so they can have the highest IO speeds. The rest of the servers will have storage over NFS on the SAN.

I am uncertain as to how to have a redundant NAS setup (GFS / OCFS2 on 1 LUN, perhaps)?  I am also unsure as to what effect having storage over NAS for xen guests will have on performance.

I would appreciate any feedback on this setup, as well as any alternatives that may offer better results than what I am thinking about.

Regards,

Joseph Rose
Manager, Software Development
Morris Technology