Re: [Xen-users] Re: Using suse xen patches with vanilla/gentoo kernel

To: Stefan Bauer <stefan.bauer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Re: Using suse xen patches with vanilla/gentoo kernel
From: Alexander Piavka <piavka@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 23:02:46 +0300 (IDT)
Cc: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 13:03:33 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sun, 21 Sep 2008, Stefan Bauer wrote:

Andrew Lyon schrieb:
I have managed to figure out the order that the patches are applied
in, and with few small changes I have got the OpenSuse Xen patches to
apply to 2.6.25-gentoo-r8 (2.6.25.15), so far the system has been
stable running 6 windows hvm's and emerge -e world in dom0 for 24
hours.

Thanks again. I had a depper look into the suse sources and they offer
a tool called guards which generates a list of required patches for
the running arch in the right order.

The following was taken from README.SUSE

-------------%>-------------------------------------

   # Apply the patches

     $ for p in $(./guards $(./arch-symbols) < series.conf); do
         patch -d linux-2.6.25 -p1 < $p || break
       done

-------------%>-------------------------------------

So i piped that into a file, removed all further suse patches and cut
also fixes and so on. result was a list with the required xen patches.

 Could you please post your new truncated series.conf with the required xen
patches
which can be just applied to vanilla or gentoo kernel sources and ,of course, results in functional kernel?

  Thanks
  Alex

As i took the latest 2.6.25 release from kernel.org with included
patches, i had not have to apply the patches.kernel.org directory too.

Regards

--
stefan.bauer@xxxxxxxxxxx                Cubewerk
Tel   +49 8621 996 02 37                IT-Beratung + Planung