Re: [Xen-users] pci passthrough and svm

To: "Javier Guerra Giraldez" <javier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] pci passthrough and svm
From: "Todd Deshane" <deshantm@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 14:24:17 -0400
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 11:24:59 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:reply-to :to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type :content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=f4Q/46uGCUiP/wMzRORIx9TvC3GNrhoy3FoWD6+Y7k0=; b=rUczGqPiwK/rZT6/uPMRWccEZXhse34drA1R4/EjlCpq3dGO22maZa+qZU7VAAsZDt TcTkyk9BOgLYxuiGlHM8PEQwwxPBA1jevMnfsIY6UhlWmVD0nyaDoSL3ulDoSBQr3YF1 Oftne86gL8I1W9lElrJMdN0wJa2qYzLFEntyk=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 11:24 AM, Javier Guerra Giraldez
<javier@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Friday 12 September 2008, Mike Power wrote:
>> I can not pass through PCI with out VT-d or equivalent
>> AMD doesn't have a VT-d equivalent out yet
>
> i thought AMD's IOMMU predated Intel's VT-d.  am i missing something?

The IOMMU support that AMD has in first generataion AMD-V is not the full
IOMMU support needed for secure passthrough. Intel VT-d is the only choice
at this point, but AMD support is coming soon.

here is a link that will help add to the confusion.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOMMU

They don't seem to mention (at a quick glance) that the AMD IOMMU support
in the older AMD stuff is not the full functionality required for
virtualization DMA
protection support.

Muli is the expert on this sort of thing, browse these threads and see
that there
is a IOMMU GART and IOMMU that supports DMA re-mapping etc.

http://xen.markmail.org/search/?q=IOMMU#query:IOMMU%20from%3A%22Muli%20Ben-Yehuda%22+page:1+mid:t2iir5dcee7rfpe6+state:results

Cheers,
Todd

--