[Xen-users] Can't see changes in LV Size inside domU (after lvextend on

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Can't see changes in LV Size inside domU (after lvextend on dom0)
From: Bruno Bertechini <bruno.bertechini@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 14:21:35 -0300
Delivery-date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 10:17:37 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi guys,

I’ve seen this post regarding “lvm resize” and this contains all the information I need to resize a disk inside domU :

http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2006-11/msg00019.html

From this post:

With this I can extend the LVs in the Dom0, and either shutdown the DomU and
resize2fs from Dom0 or even (tested on test VMs and low-use production ones)
resize online within the DomU. Works fine and I still get the manageability
of LVM within my DomU's without actually using LVM within them.”

---------

I have the same situation from this post, which I think is the Best approach for manageability of disk space on Xen domains.

I have a VG called vm_guests and 03 LV’s on it: lv_guest1_root, lv_guest1_swap, lv_guest1_export.

I have them mapped on my xen config file:

disk=[ 'phy:/dev/vm_guests/lv_guest1_root,xvda2,w',

       'phy:/dev/vm_guests/lv_guest1_swap,xvda1,w',

       'phy:/dev/vm_guests/lv_guest1_export,xvda3,w' ]

This works fine for me.

The problem here is:

On dom0 if I use lvextend to resize lv_guest1_export for example, I can’t see the changes on my domU . I don’t know why. If I understand it clearly (based on xen documentation and also on the post linked in the beginning of this email), these kind of changes should reflect automatically on domU instances.

à Steps completed: lvextend –L +10G /dev/vm_guests/lv_guest1_export

If I try to resize my partition inside domU (guest1) – with reiserfs I got :

----- WITHOUT REBOOT ------

guest1:~ # resize_reiserfs /dev/xvda3

resize_reiserfs 3.6.19 (2003 www.namesys.com)

/dev/xvda3 already is of the needed size. Nothing to be done

--- AFTER REBOOT ---

guest1:~ # resize_reiserfs /dev/xvda3

resize_reiserfs 3.6.19 (2003 www.namesys.com)

resize_reiserfs: On-line resizing finished successfully.

Is that possible to make the new space available to domU WITHOUT REBOOT the guest ?

Thanks a lot for you help!

Best Regards

Bruno Bertechini