[Xen-users] Unable to xm console in a running domU

To: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Unable to xm console in a running domU
From: Thomas <iamkenzo@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 19:40:18 +0200
Delivery-date: Mon, 01 Sep 2008 10:41:22 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to :subject:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding :content-disposition; bh=9Gqxna8cl0CcVWteuOjq/jELWGo7KY9Ij55/2zdWMBU=; b=Z8nBsUBeSbM1kae36CB04GdIibenkofZasKvVNPbDKha2XT+VYg+gNK5TcJIW0FB/I f/Zo9uY9tUsIfwthHiuZ0DmbdDLetcJcsGmsac1ej7CD6gzoDp+/yr2xhhWCDxW74cIP Xeq0Z5sT+SQEzVXOVmS0of59QQKXoUmeDQtok=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi list,

I am running a virtualized server. Dom0 uses Xen 3.2.1 with Debian
Etch and a custom kernel 2.6.21 created by my webhosting company.

I install my domU using debootstrap for a Debian Etch with
2.6.18-6-xen-amd64 kernel. Everything works well except the fact that
once the VM is started I cannot "xm console" into it. It only works
while it is booting and while it is shutting down.

I tried many different configurations for inittab and the domU config
file with tty, xvc0 and hvc0, but none worked. I tried:
---
extra = "console=xvc0 xencons=xvc0"

AND

extra = "console=tty xencons=tty"
---
But none worked.

I noted that in the inittab file of my domU, when I put the following
line in it:
---
1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 xvc0
---
the console never shows up, so I cannot log in my domU.

But if I put instead:
---
1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
---
Then now the console appears, and it is called tty1. But as soon as I
hit ctrl+], then try to xm console into, I am locked out. What's
strange is that in my domU config file, I am using extra =
"console=xvc0 xencons=xvc0" which I see is past to the kernel, because
in the boot message I see:
---
Kernel command line: root=/dev/xvda1 console=xvc0 xencons=xvc0
---

But when the console appears, its name is tty1 instead of xvc0 as I
would expect it to be. In the boot messages I do see:
---
Xen virtual console successfully installed as tty1
---

in /etc/securetty, I have:
---
# /etc/securetty: list of terminals on which root is allowed to login.
# See securetty(5) and login(1).
console
xvc0
hvc0
tty1
---
So the problem doesn't come from here (I think).

Has anyone run into this problem before and knows how to solve it?