[Xen-users] RE: VT-d "partial" success - passing DVB-S tuner to Windows

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] RE: VT-d "partial" success - passing DVB-S tuner to Windows DomU (based off previous thread of similar name!)Link to this message
From: Darren Foo <darrenfoo@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 15:52:15 -0700 (PDT)
Delivery-date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 15:52:51 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Daniel,

I don't know if you found a solution to your problem, I'm currently passing a
DVB-S card through to my XPSP3 DomU with Mediaportal as the streaming app.
Anyhow, I was having performance issues with my mpeg2 streams as well. I ended
up doing the following on my Q6600:
xm vcpu-set Domain-0 3
xm sched-credit -d DomU -w 2048

With the Dom0 pinned to 3 cpus, and my DomU on the fourth, and the
creditscheduler set much higher on my DomU the CPU utilization is much less of
a problem. Originally my CPU usage would spike for no reason in my DomU, now it
rarely does if at all. Unfortunately, giving my DomU 2 CPU's seems to break
something in Mediaportal. I was able to pin the service to 1 CPU but I still
had a few issues. I haven't been checking to much lately on Xen but I'm curious
what 3.3.0 brings for VT-d and HVM performance.

Daniel Kao wrote:

>Hi All,
>So I've got a DVB-S PCI Express card ($30 USD Twinhan AD-SE200 off eBay)
that's being passed via VT-d/pciback >in Xen 3.2.1 under CentOS 5.2 to a
Windows XP SP3 which works! ... except for one small issue... snip